Dr. Chen Zan received his medical degree and master’s degree from Harbin Medical University in 1999.
From 1999 till 2006 he finished Neurosurgery resident training in the 2nd Hospital affiliated to Harbin Medical University and the Capital Medical University Xuan Wu Hospital.
From 2006 till now he worked in the Capital Medical University Xuan Wu Hospital neurosurgery department spine section.
He is specialized in cervical spine disorders, including CVJ malformation, cervical spondylosis, cervical OPLL, cervical spine and spinal cord tumor. Every year he finished more than 1000 surgeries.
- Vice chairman of the spine section of Chinese Neurosurgery Society
- Committee of the spine section of Chinese Congress of Neurosurgery Society
- Vice chairman of spine endoscope group, orthopedic disease prevention and treatment committee, China medical care international exchange promotion association
- AO Spine faculty
He has published 70 articles as author or co-author (23 international, 47 national)
International Publication list
1. Sun Y, Wrede KH, Chen Z, Bao Y, Ling F. Ruptured intrameatal AICA aneurysms-a report of two cases and review of the literature. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2009;151(11).
2. Bo X, Wang W, Chen Z, Liu Z. Compression-distraction reduction surgical verification and optimization to treat the basilar invagination and atlantoaxial dislocation: A finite element analysis. Biomed Eng Online. 2016;15.
3. Wang Z, Wang X, Wu H, Chen Z, Yuan Q, Jian F. C2 dumbbell-shaped peripheral nerve sheath tumors: Surgical management and relationship with venous structures. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2016;151.
4. Xia Z-Y, Duan W-R, Zhao X-H, Jian F-Z, Chen Z. Computed Tomography Imaging Study of Basilar Invagination and Atlantoaxial Dislocation. World Neurosurg. 2018;114.
5. Huang Y, Wang Z, Chen Z, Wu H, Jian F. Posterior Hemi-/Laminectomy and Facetectomy Approach for the Treatment of Dumbbell-Shaped Schwannomas in the Subaxial Cervical Spine: A Retrospective Study of 26 Cases. Eur Neurol. 2017;78(3-4).
6. Du Y-Q, Duan W-R, Chen Z, Wu H, Jian F-Z. Risk Factors and Management of Dural Defects in Anterior Surgery for Cervical Ossification of the Posterior Longitudinal Ligament. World Neurosurg. 2018;111.
7. Xie Q, Zhang J, Lu F, Wu H, Chen Z, Jian F. Minimally invasive versus open Transforaminal lumbar Interbody fusion in obese patients: A meta-analysis. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2018;19(1).
8. Jian F-Z, Su C-H, Chen Z, Wang X-W, Ling F. Feasibility and limitations of C1 lateral mass screw placement in patients of atlas assimilation. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2012;114(6).
9. Sun L, Emich S, Fu W, et al. Retrocerebellar arachnoid cyst resulting in syringomyelia in a patient without tonsillar herniation: successful surgical treatment with reconstruction of CSF flow in the foramen magnum region. Neurosurg Rev. 2016;39(2).
10. Guan J, Chen Z, Wu H, et al. Is anterior release and cervical traction necessary for the treatment of irreducible atlantoaxial dislocation? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Spine J. 2018;27(6).
11. Wang K, Zhang C, Wu H, Chen Z, Chou D, Jian F. The Anatomic Characteristics of the Retroperitoneal Oblique Corridor to the L1-S1 Intervertebral Disc Spaces. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2019;44(12):E697-E706.
12. Duan W, Chou D, Jiang B, Chen Z,et al. Posterior revision surgery using an intraarticular distraction technique with cage grafting to treat atlantoaxial dislocation associated with basilar invagination. J Neurosurg Spine. 2019;31(4).
13. Du YQ, Duan WR, Chen Z, Wu H, Jian FZ. Carotid Artery-Related Perioperative Stroke Following Anterior Cervical Spine Surgery: A Series of 3 Cases and Literature Review. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2019;28(2):458-463.
14. Du YQ, Duan WR, Chen Z, Wu H, Jian FZ. Predictors for Development of Symptomatic Myelopathy in Patients with Radiculopathy Caused by Cervical Ossification of Posterior Longitudinal Ligament. World Neurosurg. 2019;124:e710-e714.
15. Jian FZ, Su CH, Chen Z, Wang XW, Ling F. Feasibility and limitations of C1 lateral mass screw placement in patients of atlas assimilation. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2012;114(6):590-596.
16. Guan J, Chen Z, Wu H, et al. Effectiveness of posterior reduction and fixation in atlantoaxial dislocation: a retrospective cohort study of 135 patients with a treatment algorithm proposal. Eur Spine J. 2019;28(5):1053-1063.
17. Yuan C, Guan J, Du Y, et al. Repeat craniocervical decompression in patients with a persistent or worsening syrinx: a preliminary report and early results for 8 cases. World Neurosurgery, 3 February 2020
18. Chen Z, Jian FZ, Wang K. Diagnosis and treatment of vertebral artery dissection caused by atlantoaxial dislocation. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2012;18(10):876-877.
19. Liu Z, Duan W, Wu H, et al. Quantitative Correction of Cervical Sagittal Deformity in Atlanto-Axial Dislocation. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2019;44(14):975-981.
20. Jian FZ, Chen Z, Wrede KH, Samii M, Ling F. Direct posterior reduction and fixation for the treatment of basilar invagination with atlantoaxial dislocation. Neurosurgery. 2010;66(4):678-687.
21. Guan J, Chen Z, Wu H, et al. Is anterior release and cervical traction necessary for the treatment of irreducible atlantoaxial dislocation? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Spine J. 2018;27(6):1234-1248.
22. Lu F, Chen Z, Wu H, Jian FZ. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Chiari Malformation Type i in Adult Patients with Dysphagia. Biomed Res Int. 2019;2019.
23. Du YQ, Duan WR, Chen Z, Wu H, Jian FZ. Risk Factors and Management of Dural Defects in Anterior Surgery for Cervical Ossification of the Posterior Longitudinal Ligament. World Neurosurg. 2018;111:e527-e538.